I am working on a small project where I am writing a C++ code to port UR-5 robot to OpenRAVE. It turns out that I needed the or_urdf plugin so I will be able to load urdf files into OpenRAVE. I didn’t find much information online and it took me a while to make it work.
I decided to write a brief tutorial to make life easier for people to find some starting point. I assume you are using Ubuntu here, if not I guess you will need slightly a different approach.
- First, run the following to install
libtinyxml2-devon your system.
- I assume you have already configured your
catkin_wsworkspace, if not Google how to configure your catkin workspace.
- Go to
catkin_ws/srcand clone the
or_urdfrepository from here. Note that this is a forked version because I changed something to the build destination of the plugin. I have created a pull request but as of now has not yet been approved. Have a look here and if the pull request is merged and closed, then go ahead and clone the
or_urdffrom the original repository.
- Clone also the
openrave_catkinfrom here in your
- Once you clone the
catkin_ws/srcthen go to
- You should see a successful message at the end of the build process.
- In your
~/.bashrcfile add the following line:
- Verify the successful installation of the plugin using the following:
- You should see URDF under module category. If you see URDF in there then you are good to go!
I have the
srdf files for UR5 robot stored in the
repository here if you want to try.
And here is the working output of the above code: